Thursday, January 21, 2010

A moving moment in history…

On January 20th, in the midst of a broken city and his broken home, Coffy found his parents in the corner of their backyard in Port-Au-Prince, sitting under a tree.

His mother, Zilania Joassaint, was sitting in a wheelchair with a broken leg. His father, Reserve Coffy, was standing over her. It was a dark night and the only light that Coffy had was a candle.

His mother cried out in Haitian Creole, “God, you are so mean to me. Why are you so mean; to make me think this is my son who came for me.” “But it is me who came,” Coffy said, “Bend down, let me see if it is really you,” she went to recognize his scent. And then she wept and wept, she recognized that it he had truly come for her. “Everyone left and you came,” she said.

"mom and dad"

They are of poor health; very frail and extremely dehydrated. His mother has a grayish tone and they had both become very thin. But they are alive.

To sustain themselves, they had been sharing and eating one to two crackers a day. They had little to no fluids. Coffy was a hero in disguise. He came with water and food, enough to help lead them from their frail state.

"i found them"




"back of the house"

"oh my god!"

"mom's hurt, but alive!"





1/20/10: Rain and aftershocks


(note: Coffy managed to send this note that he wrote on 1/20 only on 1/26)

Last night was a challenge because it rained. Since the earthquake everyone's been living outside, but we didn't have a tent and it started raining so I picked my mother up and carried her inside to a corner of the house that wasn't damaged to wait for the rain to pass. The rain did stop for a moment then started pouring again, so we laid on the floor and fell asleep only to be awakened by another earthquake of the magnitude of 6.1, that rocked the house like a boat on the ocean at around five Am. though smaller then the previous quake of 7.6.

I was scared out of my width. I jumped off ran out back with my mom, and dad was right behind me. Then as quick as it came the earthquake stopped.

This is a feeling I'll never forget. The solid ground as you know it becomes unstable as if you were on water on a piece of cardboard or something.
Anyhow, we're still here. All is well. Thankfully there was no more rain and even if there was I'd rather get wet then go in that house again.

No comments:

Post a Comment